Friday, May 14, 2010

blog-fessions

I have a confession:  I have another blog.  It's my older child, actually.  It's a foodie blog, very pointed.  Restaurant reviews.

It all started one day when we went out on the town for some burgers and cupcakes, but not just any burgers and cupcakes, Umami burgers and Sprinkles cupcakes. Very Los Angeles.  On the drive home, all we did was talk about the food we ate, in a rather critical way.  I immediately decided I'd start a restaurant critique blog, and I did.  My first post about Umami and Sprinkles was fun to write.  I sent it to my mom for editing before posting to the world, expecting an electronic version of the high-school essay red chicken scratch edits all over my report.  Instead she called and raved about how much she loved it and asked if she could send it around to everyone she knew.

And so my restaurant review blog was born.  I had planned for it to become big and popular and get advertisers lining up waiting to advertise on my blog.  My master plan, actually, was to turn it into a charity  project.  I started donating money to world hunger organizations every time we ate out.  That would be my thing.  I'd donate money, then go out to eat, then write about it.  Then you would want to read about it, so restaurants would want to advertise on it, and they'd give me more money, which I'd turn around and donate.  See?  Good intentions!

I'm actually very self-conscious about it though and don't really promote it like I'd need to to "make it big".  I think that stems from my last visit to Colorado.  I was visiting the family, and my mom had left a printed out version of my Umami & Sprinkles post out for my grandmother to read.  Grammy picked up the print-out and looked and the title and, not knowing that it was my blog, she said "This is just ridiculous. There are starving children all over the world."  Ouch.  Of course, this was after I had made it my goal to make a charity project out of it, so I couldn't feel too bad that.  But still, I've never gotten over the slight amount of embarrassment I have over the whole thing.

In any case, I started the blog you're currently reading to satisfy a desire to write about something else.  I'm not focused enough to just write about food all the damn time.  I consider this my ADD blog...I can write whatever I want whenever I want and it can be as random as I want.

Anyway, the reason I'm telling you this is because I've had a backlog of restaurant reviews to write (not that people read them...yet), and that's why I have yet to write the post I promised you about the night out to the boy's restaurant.  I now have a backlog of things I want to tell you here, on my younger (and favorite) blog child.  I envy those people that can have time to blog three times a day (and have interesting things to say about their breakfasts, lunches, and dinners).  I promise, I will catch you up, dear blog reader(s).  Please stand by.

(If you're interested...the older child...but read the archives, the first post was the best)

No comments:

Post a Comment