Saturday, June 5, 2010

go team!

Announcement:

I joined Team in Training...again!! 

You see, about three and a half years ago, I was new to Southern California, didn't know my way around town except to work and home, and had no friends besides "work friends."  I couldn't stand going to the local 24-hour fitness, which is more like a meat-market than a gym, and running on the Hermosa Beach strand started to destroy my legs after awhile.  I got flyer after flyer from Team in Training, and noticed they had a triathlon program.  I was intrigued and intimidated, but I signed up anyway to give myself an opportunity to something I'd never do on my own, meet some new people, and do something good for the world.  I finished two seasons with Team in Training, raised over $3000 dollars for cancer research, helped mentor other participants, and finished 4 triathlons all in one year.  To be honest, it was a really great experience.  I made friends, discovered my favorite place in California to run and bike, and surprised myself at what I could accomplish.

Then work got in the way, I improved my social life, and that was it for me for endurance events.  I promised myself I wouldn't do any more endurance activity that required me to eat whist exercising (stomach aches plagued me that entire year!)

So...two weeks ago, my brother-in-law was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia.  The next day, I signed up with Team in Training again.  I wasn't really thinking about the endurance event, I was thinking about raising funds and awareness for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  I was thinking about any possible thing I could do to help my family from thousands of miles away.  This was it.  So...marathon training, here I come...again. 

By the way...my sister and brother-in-law have a sweet two-year-old son, Marty.  He was named after my dad.  He's walking and talking now.  He has no idea what's about to hit him. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME RAISE MONEY FOR THE LEUKEMIA AND LYMPHOMA SOCIETY IN HONOR OF MY FAMILY!!!
This is the link to my fundraising website:

Even if you can't donate at this time, please forward this on to as many people as you can to help me spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment